生活英文-包含國家名稱的英文俚語

(圖片來源:stokpic

編輯/姚俐安

在英文的俚語中,有非常多俚語包含著各國的名字,然而這些有趣的俚語究竟代表什麼意思呢?今天講師Rachna就要帶著大家一探究竟。

1.It’s all Greek.

表示聽不懂對方說的話,或是看不懂任何字。

Ex. I don’t even know what you’re talking about. It’s all Greek.  我根本不了解你在說什麼。

2.Go Dutch.

表示平分價錢,每個人付的錢都一樣。

Ex.We went Dutch this dinner. 今天晚餐我們平分價錢。

3.Chinese whispers

表示某些事情只是謠言,捕風捉影,並非事實。

Ex. Don’t believe it. It’s just Chinese whispers. 不要相信。這只是個謠言。

4.Talk for England

表示某人非常多話,很能說。

Ex. She talked for England that made me late for work. 因為她今天太多話,害我工作遲到了。

5.Dutch courage

表示壯膽。

Ex. I need just a shot of Dutch courage, so I could go and ask her for a dance. 我需要喝一杯壯膽,這樣我才敢約她跳舞。

接收最新全民學英文電子報:

6.Pardon my French.

當不小心說出粗話或者是不禮貌的言語時,可以用來表示抱歉,或是表示不好意思。

Ex. I’m sorry for the swear words. Pardon my French. 我很抱歉我說了髒話。請你原諒。

7.A Mexican standoff

用於職場。當兩個公司有不同觀點,無法合作時,陷入僵局的情況。

Ex. There seems to be a Mexican standoff at the meeting. 這個會議看起來陷入僵局。

8.Slow boat to China

表示某件事情花了太多時間,某件事拖延太久。

Ex. I was just taking this slow boat to China while I was waiting for his proposal to be submitted.  我等他的提案提交過來已經等太久了。

9.Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

表示一個公司有太多主管,實際做工作的人卻不足。

Ex. There seems to be a problem with that company because there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians. 這個公司的問題在於主管太多,但是做事的員工太少了。