time out/ages/overslept/lie in…中文意思是?從新手媽媽的生活分享中,學習新片語!

編輯/蕭譯婷

照顧新生兒的父母非常辛苦,嬰兒突如其來的哭鬧、待在家裡無法出門透透氣,都讓人感到身心俱疲。你想聽聽一位新手媽媽,如何描述自己的生活嗎?

English Like A Native的講師Anna在影片中正是飾演一位照顧雙胞胎的媽媽,我們可以從她略帶疲倦的聲音和話語中學習許多新的片語!

 

– give a hand = help 伸出援手

That’s a lovely cup of tea, thank you. Thanks for coming over.
這真是杯溫暖人心的茶,謝謝你。謝謝你願意過來。

I really appreciate it, and I’m not just saying that because you had gave me a hand with the boxes in the attic.
我真的很感謝,但我這樣說不是因為你幫我拿閣樓上的那些箱子。

– a nightmare = unpleasant 如夢魘般令人不快

I genuinely really appreciate having a little bit of adult conversation.
我真的很感謝能夠有次成人之間的對話。

I feel like I’m going mental. If I’m being honest, I’ve had a nightmare recently.
我覺得我快瘋掉了。老實說,我最近真的身處在夢魘之中。

– lie in = stay in bed 在床上
– make a racket = make noise 發出吵雜的聲音

I can’t get the babies to go to sleep, and I’m absolutely shattered.
我沒辦法讓寶寶們安然入睡,而我真的完全累癱了。

If they happen to lie in the morning, then the workmen wake me up because they’re outside making a racket.
如果他們碰巧能夠一覺到天亮,那麼外頭工人的施工聲也仍會吵醒我。

– overslept = sleep longer than intended 睡過頭

I can’t remember the last time I had more than four hours solid sleep.
我已經不記得自己上一次睡超過四小時是什麼時候了。

I overslept the other day. I had a job interview at nine o’clock because I’m that tired obviously.
我有一天睡過頭了。我九點有一次面試,但我太累了。

– ages = a long time 很長一段時間

I messed up on that one and haven’t had another job interview for ages.
我完全搞砸了,而且也很久沒有接到另一次面試通知了。

– time out = take a break 休息

Anyway, I’m sure I’ll be fine. I just need to take some time out, try and recharge the batteries.
總之,我知道我會漸入佳境的。我只是需要讓自己偶爾休息,充電一下。

– take a raincheck = postpone 延期

I’m sure their kids will start sleeping through soon enough. It’s just one of those things, isn’t it?
我相信孩子們會睡得越來越好的。這不過就只是其中一個小問題而已,不是嗎?

I never expected twins and I never expected that it would be as hard as it is.
我從未想過我會擁有雙胞胎,也從未預期會如此辛苦。

Sorry, don’t mean to rain on your parade or anything.
對不起,我不是要潑你冷水或什麼的。

Congratulation on the promotion, it’s really exciting.
恭喜你升官,這真是令人興奮的。

Oh no, one of my kids is sick. I’m gonna have to take a raincheck on tonight. I’m sorry.
噢不,我的其中一個孩子生病了。我必須要將今晚的約延期了,對不起。

圖片出處:christianabella