圖片來源/stocksnap
small talk(閒聊)意指將臨時想到的事情當成話題,藉此不斷推展話題。儘管如此,要是完全不管正在聊的話題,突然插一句:「Are you planning to go to Mexico on your vacation?」(你放假時會去墨西哥嗎?)對方說不定會覺得:「怎麼突然問這個?」
但是如果像I was wondering, are you planning to go to Mexico on your vacation?(話說回來,你放假時會去墨西哥嗎?)這樣,在前面加上I was wondering,就能夠讓整段對話自然又流暢。有時候雖然不是閒聊,但是遇到有點想知道但又偏離原話題的事情時,這個句型同樣很方便。
話說回來,你夏天有什麼計畫嗎?
➡➡I was wondering, what are your plans for summer?
我預計去夏威夷兩個星期。
➡➡I’m going to visit Hawaii for two weeks.
────────────────
不好意思,可以借我電話嗎?
➡➡I was wondering, can I borrow your phone for a minute?
可以喔,請用。
➡➡Sure, go ahead.
────────────────
冒昧問一下,貴公司是在做什麼的?
➡➡I was wondering, what does your company specialize in?
我們專門製造與銷售電腦零件。
➡➡We specialize in the manufacture and sales of computer parts.
────────────────
我想知道這件襯衫有沒有小一點的?
➡➡I was wondering, do you have this shirt in a smaller size?
稍待片刻,我去確認一下。
➡➡Just a moment, I’ll check.
────────────────
話說回來,令嬡幾歲了?
➡➡I was wondering, how old is your daughter?
上個月剛滿三歲喔!
➡➡She just turned three last month!
────────────────
不好意思,你的筆記可以借我看嗎?
➡➡I was wondering, can I see your notes?
可以啊,請看。
➡➡Of course. Here you are.
本文摘自 采實文化 《只用50個開頭語,就能輕鬆開口說英文》